Every year since 1970, the world has observed Earth Day on April 22, the day that many consider the birthdate of the modern environmental movement. In honor of this 45th anniversary of Earth Day, here are some tips from the Georgia Power company.
5 Home Energy Efficiency Tips:
- Seal Ductwork – Gaps in joints/connections in HVAC ductwork can cause heating and cooling bills to increase by as much as 20 to 30 percent.
- Insulate Attics – Properly insulating your attic can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs.
- Install Programmable Thermostats – Using advanced thermostats to set and automatically adjust your home's temperature settings when you're away or sleeping can help you save up to $100 a year.
- Recycle Old Refrigerators & Freezers – Recycling old, secondary refrigerators and freezers can save up to $150 a year in energy costs and you could earn a $50 rebate from Georgia Power.
- Look for the Logo – When replacing appliances, look for the Energy Star® logo as certified appliances use up to 40 percent less energy and water than standard models.
Learn all about Earth Day and how you can help: http://earthday.org