Coutry star Mickey Guyton's song "Black Like Me" appeared, without promotional fanfare, on her Instagram account and Spotify's marquee Hot Country playlist. The track encapsulates her vision on many levels. It builds like a pop anthem, piano chords supplying a pensive pulse until the hook lifts above handclap backbeats, shadings of subterranean bass and ribbons of steel guitar. Vocally, she moves through country, pop and gospel modes: intimate narration, commanding plea and, at the song's emotional climax, imperial belting, agile, octave leaps and flaring, improvisational runs. In the lyrics, she applies familiar tools of country storytelling — a small-town backdrop; poignantly down-to-earth scenes of class disparity; admiration for a parent's hard work — to aim her anguish at dehumanizing encounters with racism toward sparking broad empathy.
Country Star Mickey Guyton's New Single "Black Like Me"
Share this article:
More From LATF USA
- Dua Lipa Releases New Single And Video “Hallucinate”
- Meghan Trainor Announces "Treat Myself" Deluxe Out July 17
- Las Vegas Reopens: Bally's Is Next July 23rd
- 2021 Tour: Goo Goo Dolls Release Deluxe Miracle Pill Album Version
- New Music Friday: Diplo & Noah Cyrus, H.E.R., Barns Courtney, Raye, Valley, Kim Petras w/DJ Kygo, Natalie Claro
- Weekly Top Ten Chart
- How The NBA Bubble Has Taken Shape In Disney Land
- 56TH ACADEMY OF COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS To Air April 18, 2021
- Vote! Hulu Launches HAHA Awards For Animated Series
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Announce 2020 Inductees: Whitney Houston, Nine Inch Nails & More