Coutry star Mickey Guyton's song "Black Like Me" appeared, without promotional fanfare, on her Instagram account and Spotify's marquee Hot Country playlist. The track encapsulates her vision on many levels. It builds like a pop anthem, piano chords supplying a pensive pulse until the hook lifts above handclap backbeats, shadings of subterranean bass and ribbons of steel guitar. Vocally, she moves through country, pop and gospel modes: intimate narration, commanding plea and, at the song's emotional climax, imperial belting, agile, octave leaps and flaring, improvisational runs. In the lyrics, she applies familiar tools of country storytelling — a small-town backdrop; poignantly down-to-earth scenes of class disparity; admiration for a parent's hard work — to aim her anguish at dehumanizing encounters with racism toward sparking broad empathy.
Country Star Mickey Guyton's New Single "Black Like Me"
Share this article:
More From LATF USA
- Happy 20th Birthday Wikipedia!
- NFL Tackles Hunger Crisis Giving $250k Donation To Feeding Tampa Bay
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Celebrating The Life & Work Of A Civil Rights Leader
- Famed Music Producer Phil Spector Dies At Age 81
- Dr. Jeffrey Tucker: The Benefits of Blood Flow Restriction
- Rockwell Kitchen's Food Truck Is Open In Malibu
- Louis The Lab/Shepherd Finds His Forever Home
- Catherine Gray Launches 'She Angels Series' Featuring Women Entrepreneurs
- New Music Friday: Tone Stith, Olivia Rodrigo, Danny Goo, Charming Liars, Zara Larsson - Feat: Young Thug, Wizkid - Feat: Burna Boy, Raye
- Weekly Top Ten Chart