Coutry star Mickey Guyton's song "Black Like Me" appeared, without promotional fanfare, on her Instagram account and Spotify's marquee Hot Country playlist. The track encapsulates her vision on many levels. It builds like a pop anthem, piano chords supplying a pensive pulse until the hook lifts above handclap backbeats, shadings of subterranean bass and ribbons of steel guitar. Vocally, she moves through country, pop and gospel modes: intimate narration, commanding plea and, at the song's emotional climax, imperial belting, agile, octave leaps and flaring, improvisational runs. In the lyrics, she applies familiar tools of country storytelling — a small-town backdrop; poignantly down-to-earth scenes of class disparity; admiration for a parent's hard work — to aim her anguish at dehumanizing encounters with racism toward sparking broad empathy.
Country Star Mickey Guyton's New Single "Black Like Me"
Share this article:
More From LATF USA
- Trailer: John Malkovich & Frank Grillo In SHATTERED
- Watch: Jennifer Lopez Drops 'On My Way' Music Video
- A Look At Spider-Man: No Way Home Character Posters
- Kid's Corner: Give Feltman Brothers Loungewear For Christmas
- New Music Friday: BILBAO, Justin Kemp Band, Georgia Lines, Jason Byrd, White Lies, Morgen, Neon Trees
- Get The Burger King Whopper For 37 Cents Today
- Khalid Drops Music Video For "Present"
- Weekly Top Ten
- Disney's New Series 'Chang Can Dunk' Wraps Production
- President Biden Announces U.S. Entry COVID-19 Test Change