Through a Facebook Live event, Los Angeles culinary icon Roy Choi revealed the first dishes that will be served at Best Friend, debuting at Park MGM in Las Vegas on December 19. The world got its first glimpse at Chef Choi’s vision and inspiration for a restaurant that is a remixed and remastered evolution of LA’s Koreatown.
From evolved cult classics to fresh ideas, Chef Choi provided a sneak peek at the food he has in store for Best Friend.
“When you see Best Friend, I want you to have a little bit of a chuckle or a little bit of a smile with yourself – ‘cause this is place you come to have fun.” – Chef Roy Choi on Facebook Live
Dishes Revealed Include:
- Tamarind Cod Hot Pot: Combining inspirations from both Vietnamese and Korean cuisine, this dish features tamarind spiced broth, cod and Korean vermicelli noodles. As the simmering pot is brought to diners, the cod breaks into succulent, bite-sized pieces.
- BBQ Spicy Pork: Chef Choi brings a reimagined version of his BBQ pork to The Strip. Thinly sliced pork belly and shoulder is marinated in a sweet and spicy kochujang sauce, then charred on the plancha with onions.
- Slippery Shrimp: Chef Choi does his own cover of classic Honey Walnut Shrimp with his own crispy rendition coating the shrimp in a creamy, spicy sauce mixed with cilantro, walnuts and sesame seeds.
- Soon DuBu Hot Pot: Brought to American popularity through LA’s Koreatown, Best Friend will feature its own take on the spicy stew from Chef Choi’s neighborhood. The vegan dish filled with umami serves a mixture of soft and firm tofu in a spicy broth within a clay pot.
- Fritto Misto Rogers: Best Friend’s tempura medley features an assortment of fried vegetables, such as shishito peppers and cauliflower, served with a ponzu dipping sauce.
- Fried Bologna Sandwich: Blurring the lines of what guests expect from a Las Vegas restaurant, and a callback to his original snack food, Chef Choi has created the same Fried Bologna sandwich he used to make for himself at home. The simple and addictive combination of fried bologna and swiss cheese will make for the perfect late-night bite.