You've seen it all week on the TODAY show... Universal Orlando Resort has now opened Universal's Volcano Bay.
The park's first guests gathered today inside the new water theme park to enjoy an authentic, South Pacific dedication ceremony commemorating the opening of Volcano Bay.
The ceremony featured special performances by an array of authentic Maori entertainment, ranging from water dancers to "Haka" war dancers. The moment culminated with an eruption from the mighty 200 ft. Krakatau volcano – the park's stunning icon.
Volcano Bay is Universal Orlando's third theme park and the next chapter in the award-winning vacation destination's evolution. Universal Orlando is part of the NBCUniversal Comcast family, which has invested significantly in the destination's unprecedented growth. In just seven years, 25 new experiences – entire themed areas, attractions, restaurants, and hotels – have been added across the destination. Universal Orlando now has 5,600 rooms across its five (soon to be six) on-site hotels.
Spanning 25 fully immersive acres and featuring something for everyone – from perfected relaxation to incredible thrills – Volcano Bay is unlike any other water park in world. It offers an immersive environment filled with unbelievable detail and innovative technology to enhance fun and remove hassles. Volcano Bay features:
- More than 30 experiences including 18 unique attractions such as a multi-directional wave pool with sandy beaches, a peaceful winding river, twisting multi-rider raft rides, speeding body slides that drop from the top of the volcano into the waters below and more.
- The TapuTapu wearable – included with guest admission and specifically designed for use within Universal's Volcano Bay. Features of TapuTapu include:
- Virtual Line Access: TapuTapu allows guests to virtually wait in line for rides while enjoying other areas of the park. Their wearable will simply alert them when it's time for their ride.
- TapTu Play: Guests can enjoy many TapTu Play experiences throughout the park - like controlling streams of water spurting from whales in Tot Tiki Reef, shooting water cannons at guests snaking down Kopiko Wai Winding River, illuminating images in the volcano's hidden caves and more.
- TapTu Pay: Guests can make purchases throughout the entire park with their TapuTapu wearable, eliminating the need to carry cash, credit cards or a wallet throughout the park.
- TapTu Snap/My Universal Photo Access: Guests can take advantage of special interactive photo opportunities and selfie-spots throughout the park as well as photo opportunities on Volcano Bay's attractions. Their wearable will automatically link those photos to their account so that guests can view, share and purchase them at their convenience.
- Locker Access: After renting their lockers, guests will be able to access them with a touch of their TapuTapu wearable.
- Beautifully-themed dining locations featuring more than 60 delicious, South Pacific-inspired dishes – ranging from jerk mahi sandwiches to fresh island chicken salad to decadent chocolate pineapple upside down cake.
For more information about Universal's Volcano Bay, visit www.universalorlando.com.