Kicking off the 2014 Awards Season,the 25th Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival (PSIFF) Awards Gala, presented by Cartier, was held Saturday, January 4, 2014 at the Palm Springs Convention Center hosted byMary Hart. Honorees were presented with an original Chihuly Glass Sculpture designed by Dale Chihuly or the John Kennedy "The Entertainer" statue. The event is sponsored by Mercedes-Benz and Entertainment Tonight.
The Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards Gala honors individuals in the entertainment industry with several prestigious awards for acting, director, achievement in film scoring and life achievement. The following awards were presented at this year’s Awards Gala:
- Thomas Newmanreceived the Frederick Loewe Award for Film Composing for Saving Mr. Banks presented by the film’s star Colin Farrell and director John Lee Hancock.
- Steve McQueen received the Director of the Year Award for 12 Years a Slave presented by the film’s star Chiwetel Ejiofor.
- Lupita Nyong’o received the Breakthrough Performance Award for 12 Years a Slave presented by her co-star Alfre Woodard and director Steve McQueen.
- Bruce Dern (Nebraska)received theCareer Achievement Award presented by his Coming Home co-star Jane Fonda.
- Julia Robertsreceived the Spotlight Award for August: Osage County presented by her co-star Ewan McGregor.
- Matthew McConaughey received the Desert Palm Achievement Award Actor for Dallas Buyers Club presented by his Tiptoes co-star Gary Oldman.
- U2 received the Sonny Bono Visionary Award for theirsong ‘Ordinary Love’ from the film Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom presented by Mary Bono and the film’s stars Idris Elba and Naomie Harris.
- American Hustle (Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Paul Herman, Jeremy Renner, Elisabeth Rohm and Shea Whigham in attendance) received the Ensemble Performance Award presented bythe film’s director David O. Russell.
- Sandra Bullock received the Desert Palm Achievement Award Actress for Gravity presented by her Hope Floats co-star Gena Rowlands.
- Tom Hanks received theChairman’s Award forCaptain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks presented by Julia Roberts, his co-star in Charlie Wilson’s War and Larry Crowne.
- Meryl Streep received the Icon Award for August: Osage County presented by her co-star Margo Martindale.
Additional guests who attended the event: Camila Alves, Amma Asante (Director,Belle – Opening Night Film), Mary Bono,Steve Coogan (Philomena), Byung Hun Lee, Catalina Sandino Moreno (Medeas), Juliet Rylance, Wong Kar Wai (The Grandmaster), Harvey Weinstein and Palm Springs Mayor Steve Pougnet, along with Festival representatives Harold Matzner (Festival Chairman), Darryl Macdonald (Festival Director) and Helen du Toit (Artistic Director).
Cartier jewelry was worn this year by select honorees, presenters and guests Amy Adams, Camila Alves, Mary Hart, Matthew McConaughey, Steve McQueen and Lupita Nyong'o. In addition, Cartier presented Tank MC watches to all male honorees, Tank Anglaise watches to all female honorees, Belle Epoque Cufflinks for male presenters and Sweet Trinity Necklaces for female presenters. Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Colin Farrel, Tom Hanks, Matthew McConaughey, Steve McQueen, Lupita Nyong'O, Gary Oldam, Jeremy Renner, Gena Rowlands, Meryl Streep, Alfre Woodard, and U2 arrived in the all new Mercedes 2014 S-Class and GL450 to the Festival red carpet.
Following the ceremony an after party was held at the Parker Palm Springs where Amy Adams, Camila Alves, Mary Bono, Bradley Cooper, Bruce Dern, Idris Elba, Tom Hanks, Naomie Harris, Matthew McConaughey, Lupita Nyong'o, Amy Pascal, Jeremy Renner, Elisabeth Rohm, David O. Russell, Shea Whigham and many others were in attendance.
The Palm Springs International Film Festival takes place January 3-13, 2014.
For additional information on the Festival visit www.psfilmfest.org.